The leaner the meat, the dryer and grainier the meatloaf. For an all-beef meatloaf, always use a higher-fat cut, at least 15 percent.
For a meatloaf made with a leaner beef or turkey, consider mixing in some ground pork and/or veal in order to achieve a moist, tender meatloaf.
Chopping up bacon and adding it to the mix is always a great way to add fat.
- 2 lbs – 80/20 Ground Beef
- 1 – Yellow Onion small dice
- 1/2 – Bell Pepper small dice
- 2 – Garlic Cloves (minced
- 1 – Egg
- 1 TBS – Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 TBS – Yellow Mustard
- 3 TBS – Ketchup
- 2 tsp – Black Pepper
- 1 tsp – Salt
- 1/3 Cup – Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup – Ketchup
- 1 TBS – Honey
- 1 tsp – Worcestershire Sauce
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Combine, egg, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire, garlic, onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs.
Add ground beef and mix thoroughly, but do not overwork the meat or it will become dense and chewy.
Form into a loaf and place on a baking sheet and bake in a 325º oven for 40 minutes.
Pour glaze on top of the meatloaf and continue cooking 15-20 more minutes or until it reaches 160º.
Let cool 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Don’t skip adding eggs, ketchup, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire, barbecue sauce or some combination of wet seasonings. They don’t just add flavor and texture, they help make the meat super juicy.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef I used 93/7 ratio
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp season all salt or plain salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce in the video there is a typo
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
bake for 50 to 55 minutes
For a meatloaf with beef, pork or veal, soak the bread in milk first.
For a ground turkey meatloaf, which needs a boost of fat, soak the bread in cream.
Lactose-intolerant? Kosher? No problem! Soak the bread in stock and it will turn out well, too.
- 2 pounds ground beef – lean
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cubed bread
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp minced fresh chives
- 1 tbsp fresh marjoram
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp mushroom soup – optional
- 1/4 tsp salt +
- 1/2 tsp black pepper +
- olive oil
- Mushroom Gravy:
- 1 minced shallot
- 4 cups sliced Cremini / Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2-3 cups beef broth
- wine or bourbon – optional
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter