Fill your house with the aroma of slow cooked beef stew. The hearty combination of beans, beef and tomatoes will satisfy any hunger.
- 2-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package 12 to 14 ounces dried bean soup mix with seasoning packet (not quick cooking)
- 2 cans 14-1/2 ounces each diced tomatoes with green peppers and onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can 14 to 14-1/2 ounces beef broth
- 3 cups frozen diced or hash-brown potatoes optional
- Salt and pepper
Soak beans in water overnight in the refrigerator according to package directions. Reserve seasoning packet.
Coat beef with seasoning from the reserved packet. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/3 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat twice with remaining oil and beef, adding additional oil as needed.
Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot. Drain beans; discard water. Add beans, tomatoes and beef broth to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours, or until beef is fork tender.
Stir in potatoes, if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired
SIMPLE BEEF AND BREW CHILI
Whip up this delicious chili that combines the flavors of Ground Beef, beer, black beans, tomatoes and chili seasonings for your next football game.
- 1 pound Ground Beef 96% lean
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper chopped
- 1 can 15 ounces reduced-sodium or regular black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounce diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 bottle 12 ounces light beer or 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 packet 1-1/4 ounces reduced-sodium or regular chili seasoning mix
- Sliced cherry tomatoes sliced green onions, sliced Serrano or jalapeño peppers, chopped onions, lime wedges and tortilla chips (optional)
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Stir in beans, tomatoes, beer and chili seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. Serve with toppings, as desired.